Every month we choose 3 Spotify designers to share their thoughts on design, tech, and work. There’s just one catch: They need to do it in (roughly) 3 sentences or less.
What tips do you have for people starting a new job while working remotely?
Ashwini PurohitSenior Product Designer
1. Schedule shorter meetings for all those introductory one-on-ones — 30 minutes can feel like a long time over video.
2. I like to replicate a commute by taking a long walk at the end of the workday.
3. I can never find the things I bookmark or save, so keeping a simple table with all the useful resources I come across has been super valuable.
Gearóid O’RourkeProduct Design Manager
1. Accept that it will be harder to connect with people — don’t stress if it takes longer than you’d hoped.
2. Be ready to overshare. Being explicit about what you’re thinking and feeling helps avoid misunderstandings. It’s going to feel uncomfortable, but it’s worth it.
3. Set boundaries on your working time. It’s something your team will appreciate, just as much as you “finishing that deck this weekend”.
Mitul IyengarProduct Designer
1. Reorganize your physical space to give yourself a mental “reset”.
2. Discuss the same topics with different people. It’ll help you absorb the information and give you a broader perspective on how things work.
3. Set up 15-minute one-to-ones where you talk about non-work stuff — it’ll help you get to know each other!
Our latest in Noted
If you've ever needed a design ally, this is for you. Three designers, in three different roles, share their thoughts on finding allies at work.
What unexpected skills come into play in your day-to-day? Here, three designers share the surprising things that help them excel in design.
Here, Spotify Designers share their advice for getting settled in a new team or role.
Senior UX Writer, Nicole A. Michaelis, shares her experience of onboarding remotely as the only UX Writer in her team.
Want Spotify Design updates
sent straight to your inbox?
By clicking send you'll receive occasional emails from Spotify Design. You always have the choice to unsubscribe within every email you receive.