Every month we choose 3 Spotify designers to share their thoughts on design, tech, and work. There’s just one catch: They need to do it in (roughly) 3 sentences or less.
What tips do you have for people starting a new job while working remotely?
Ashwini PurohitSenior Product Designer
1. Schedule shorter meetings for all those introductory one-on-ones — 30 minutes can feel like a long time over video.
2. I like to replicate a commute by taking a long walk at the end of the workday.
3. I can never find the things I bookmark or save, so keeping a simple table with all the useful resources I come across has been super valuable.
Gearóid O’RourkeProduct Design Manager
1. Accept that it will be harder to connect with people — don’t stress if it takes longer than you’d hoped.
2. Be ready to overshare. Being explicit about what you’re thinking and feeling helps avoid misunderstandings. It’s going to feel uncomfortable, but it’s worth it.
3. Set boundaries on your working time. It’s something your team will appreciate, just as much as you “finishing that deck this weekend”.
Mitul IyengarProduct Designer
1. Reorganize your physical space to give yourself a mental “reset”.
2. Discuss the same topics with different people. It’ll help you absorb the information and give you a broader perspective on how things work.
3. Set up 15-minute one-to-ones where you talk about non-work stuff — it’ll help you get to know each other!
Want Spotify Design updates
sent straight to your inbox?
By clicking send you'll receive occasional emails from Spotify Design. You always have the choice to unsubscribe within every email you receive.
Our latest in Noted
The series where the friendly folks from Spotify's design community answer questions sourced from readers (like you!).
This month, three Product Designers tell us about the considerations they need to make when creating for podcasters.
Senior UX Writer, Diane Murphy, walks us through the process the Personalization Team uses to name playlists at Spotify.
This is the story of how product designers at Spotify translated important pieces of the 2020 Wrapped brand campaign into a beautiful app experience.